SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is for any bike besides our beloved SV1000. Post up what you did or are going to do to your non-SV1000. :D

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Due to a health issue, I got rid of my 2015 Yamaha FJR1300 ES about a month ago and replaced it with a nice and about 100 lbs lighter 2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor. Interceptors are mechanically reliable bikes but can suffer from electrical problems after some age/miles/exposure to water which causes corrosion of electrical connectors and subsequent shorting out of stuff like stators/regulators/rectifiers. I just got a VFRness in the mail today so over the next day or two, I'm going to take off the fairings and install it. While I'm at it, I'll also pull apart all the VFR's connectors and fill them with dielectric grease.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3-c8B5bUCA8[/ame]

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Many years ago I had a 1990 VFR 750. Beautiful bike.

I had to ride around with a spare r/r because I never knew when it might fail. It didn't help that Honda placed it under the plastic by the seat where it couldn't get any air flow.

There were actually quite a few other things that were disappointing about this bike. Read on if you wish.

After ~20,000 miles the transmission went south. Most likely it was a bent shift fork. I sold it as is and let the new buyer deal with it.

The fuel gauge was a nice touch but useless. It basically read either full or empty.

The bike was heavy and carried its weight high making low speed handling a real challenge.

It was a PITA to work on. Just about everything is more difficult on a V4 compared to a V twin.

Honda cut corners in several areas such as suspension, no stock center stand, no stock clock.

I'm sure the new models are much better than mine. Enjoy yours and ride safe.

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL....I knew someone would post up a nightmare story about an Interceptor. :lol:

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,419 Posts
The VFR and the VTR-F had the same shit reg/rec.... filled with resin..... when it went, everything went with it... power, lights, engine....
Changed it out for a newer heat-sink version, and, installed large serrated washer between it and the frame to get a much better earth
never had an issue again.... (the washers idea came from a guy i knew who had some experience...haha)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Today I'm gonna put the new tires on my SV650S and clean it up a little. Also hoping to take a ride before the shipment guys arrive. We owned the bike together with my brother and last year he decided to buy a flat in Berlin and move there. He was looking for decent bike to buy for a while but couldn't find anything interesting so decided to get our SV650S shipped to Germany.

·
Knowledge is Horsepower
3,259 Posts
I sold my big SV a year or so ago. Miss it. But my neck and wrists don't.

I have a 2012 V-strom 677 that's modded out the wazoo. Great bike.

Just came back to hang out and look around here for a while.

I have some stuff I'd like to get rid of too. Some SV parts. Probably give them away.

Attachments

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,419 Posts
Today I'm gonna put the new tires on my SV650S and clean it up a little. Also hoping to take a ride before the shipment guys arrive. We owned the bike together with my brother and last year he decided to buy a flat in Berlin and move there. He was looking for decent bike to buy for a while but couldn't find anything interesting so decided to get our SV650S shipped to Germany.
At least you wont have to pay for a steering conversion, they ride on the same side...... (....tomatoes heading my way.... lol..):spank:

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Recently, I bought a 2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250S with only 2183 miles on it. It started up and ran great but I didn't test ride it unfortunately. I didn't get a chance to ride it for a couple of weeks but when I did, I discovered it wouldn't rev past 4,000 rpm. After perusing the Suzuki Bandit forum, I discovered an all too common issue. There is an internal steel mesh filter inside the housing for the fuel pressure regulator which gets clogged with stuff. Lots of people clean it by soaking or even boiling it in some solution for awhile and then blowing it out in reverse fashion with compressed air. I elected to buy a new fuel pressure regulator housing which includes the internal mesh filter (part #15610-18H00). This is a great option since as we all know, our SV1000s have a stupid paper filter inside the fuel pressure regulator housing which costs several hundred dollars new (vs. a little over $100 for the new Bandit part which is steel or simply cleaning that part thoroughly) which forces the bypass procedure on the SV1000 pump assembly in order to avoid paying those exorbitant prices.

In my case, the external filter in the Bandit's pump assembly housing had completely disintegrated and its remnants clogged up the internal filter. It was completely packed. The pic below of the internal filter and the stuff that came out of it was after lots of blasting with carb cleaner and scraping it. After replacing this part with a new one, it runs fantastic. Its midrange is quite potent. It's also one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden. Looking forward to putting lots of miles on it.

20210426_135815.jpg 20210426_180049.jpg 20210426_193005.jpg 20210612_115354.jpg 20210612_115457.jpg screen.jpg screen debris.jpg

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,419 Posts
NIce clean bike there Mr Bald Sob..... is the Strom yours as well ?

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No mate, those 2 pics are of the Bandit. The one on the back of the pickup looks different because I compressed the front forks so much that it looks like a different bike. ;)

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,419 Posts
No mate, those 2 pics are of the Bandit. The one on the back of the pickup looks different because I compressed the front forks so much that it looks like a different bike. ;)
Nah....when you go through the pics one by one. there is a pic of a 650 strom outside Nelson Creamery...... (Wisconsin ibelieve....) The strom pic only turns up if you scroll.....
It has different data on it too... has D.T. on not it....actually from a post several before yours....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Recently, I bought a 2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250S with only 2183 miles on it. It started up and ran great but I didn't test ride it unfortunately. I didn't get a chance to ride it for a couple of weeks but when I did, I discovered it wouldn't rev past 4,000 rpm. After perusing the Suzuki Bandit forum, I discovered an all too common issue. There is an internal steel mesh filter inside the housing for the fuel pressure regulator which gets clogged with stuff. Lots of people clean it by soaking or even boiling it in some solution for awhile and then blowing it out in reverse fashion with compressed air. I elected to buy a new fuel pressure regulator housing which includes the internal mesh filter (part #15610-18H00). This is a great option since as we all know, our SV1000s have a stupid paper filter inside the fuel pressure regulator housing which costs several hundred dollars new (vs. a little over $100 for the new Bandit part which is steel or simply cleaning that part thoroughly) which forces the bypass procedure on the SV1000 pump assembly in order to avoid paying those exorbitant prices.

In my case, the external filter in the Bandit's pump assembly housing had completely disintegrated and its remnants clogged up the internal filter. It was completely packed. The pic below of the internal filter and the stuff that came out of it was after lots of blasting with carb cleaner and scraping it. After replacing this part with a new one, it runs fantastic. Its midrange is quite potent. It's also one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden. Looking forward to putting lots of miles on it.

View attachment 117616 View attachment 117615 View attachment 117617 View attachment 117611 View attachment 117612 View attachment 117613 View attachment 117614
How’s the Bandit 1250 compared to a SV1000? I once talked to a guy who said it was better in every single way. Way more torque and just generally a more refined bike.
I've never ridden a Bandit but I would imagine its comfortable and more touring than sport, with the SV more sport than touring.

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah, sorry ML, I see what you're saying now. Strange how DT's Strom pic shows up in my pic slide show.:unsure:

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How’s the Bandit 1250 compared to a SV1000? I once talked to a guy who said it was better in every single way. Way more torque and just generally a more refined bike.
I've never ridden a Bandit but I would imagine its comfortable and more touring than sport, with the SV more sport than touring.
The Bandit 1250S is indeed more refined. It's not quicker than the SV but it has more midrange which makes it generally faster in the real world. Top speed is over 150 mph. Lots more comfort too with the upright ergos with the higher bars. It feels more like my former VFR 800 Interceptor with lots more midrange. It's definitely a great tourer. Not a sexy bike but rather bland but I like it a lot. It came with a nice Yoshimura pipe which isn't too loud.. I would've left it stock though. It only cost me $3900 USD so it was quite a bargain!:cool:

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,419 Posts
Ah, sorry ML, I see what you're saying now. Strange how DT's Strom pic shows up in my pic slide show.:unsure:
I can Moderate images, but when i look at the group you put up, that extra one isn't in there..... (outside my pay grade... ha ha)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts