SV Portal Forums banner
15901 - 15920 of 15964 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
replaced 3 yr old fork seals and 2 wks later the rear shock puked. got a good on out of a california salvage yard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Took my '03 for a good little run of around 220 kms this morning. Our state government (Qld, Australia) eased the Covid-19 Travel restrictions starting from today, and now allows for a recreational ride within a 50 km radius of your home address. It was most enjoyable!

Today was its first run after it threw the rotor magnets and took out the stator. It kind of got parked in the corner of the shed as life and other projects got in the way. Next thing I knew 18 months had elapsed. I've just had three weeks leave which I spent at home due to the Covid-19 restrictions and it was one of the best holidays I've ever had. Relaxed at home and worked on a few of my bikes and got them back up to scratch. I'd already bought all the parts for the SV back when it first happened so it was pretty painless financially as well. Of course the fuel tank was full of crap so I cleaned it all out and popped in a new fuel pump as well. Battery was also had it of course, so she's got a new one of them too.

As I was saying to a mate after riding the SV again, "You forget just how bloody good these bikes are!" :niceone:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bought a used 2003 SV1000s a few years ago and finally getting around to some major items.
Tires
Chain & sprockets
Leaky Fork (seals on both anyways)
Leaky clutch slave cyl (found a replacement)
Stator magnet reinforcement
Oil & filter
clean & lube throttle cables (Excited about this one, all my bikes have had lots of resistance on the throttle)
check that green connector everyone keeps talking about
Deep clean! every part that comes off - will go back on shining. Every nook i can get into will get a good scrub before it's reassembled.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Today I cleaned and greased the turn signal switch. It was sticking something awful and now it works as good as new.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Replaced the exhaust header gasket and had the injection remapped. I had a cough problem back through throttle bodes but now it seems to be working all fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
self

hoped on it and went to the grocery store, but first I ran my favorite set of curves by the house and beat my best time by 2.3 seconds. Trying to get my suspension set just right for my kind of riding.

·
Registered
13 Posts
First Spin

Took my SV1K out for its first proper spin today, instantly fell in love! Can see why everyone here loves these bikes, and that V-Twin sound is second to none!

Attachments

Reactions: RC.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Started it for the first time in 4 years . New battery and it fired into life instantly. I have got a petrol leak from the throttle body link fuel line but that’s going to be an easy ish fix .

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I installed one of these smart brake modules to activate the brake light when slowing down without using the brakes.
https://safer-turn.com/smart-brake-module/
I mounted the module inside the the rider's portion of the seat tail cover. There's lots of room in there, it's flat and nearly horizontal to the ground which is required for the module to function properly.

The module comes with a wiring diagram and quick connectors to tap into the wires. I would have approved Posi-tap connectors and may swap them in the future. I removed the passenger grab rail for better access to the brake light wires. That's the only thing I needed to remove besides the seats.

It works fine and gives me a bit of peace of mind. Seems like a worthwhile upgrade to me. I paid ~60 US$ including shipping

·
Registered
25 Posts
I rebuilt the rear caliper and master cylinder. The resulting fluid (which I'm sure has been in there since 2003) was the visually and physically consistent with mustard. I also pulled the original wheel bearings at 32k miles. While in my haste to put in the bearings (didn't want to lose my heat from the torch) I accidentally omitted the wheel spacer. So I had to order new bearings and get to do them again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Detailed, been cleaning the damn rims half the day?!! Tired of chain lube everywhere!! Did Jardine fender eliminator & new soft grips last weekend. Front brakes look fine at 21k miles. Trying to post pics but not having any luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fixed a fuel leak between the throttle bodies with some new fuel line and clamps. Swapped out the stock front brake banjo with a banjo w/ bleeder, and replaced the front Galfer organic pads w/ DP HH+ pads

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,419 Posts
Fixed a fuel leak between the throttle bodies with some new fuel line and clamps.
I dont think i have ever heard of anyone having this issue outside of the States, especially here in Oz (might be corrected), i wonder if that is caused in part by fuels adulterated with ethanol, especially in large ratios....?

10% is about as high as it gets over here really, but the majority of our pumps are still "standard" fossil juices.....

Ethanol can degrade certain types of fuel hose, unless they specifically engineered to suit....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Changed my forks seals, fresh fluid, and braided stainless brakelines. Best thing I've done to date. Amazing how the bike handles now, and linear braking too.
I've read others post, about handling improvements, and better brake feel- but I did not believe the difference would be as .... well, it's like having a new bike.
With a full bleed of brakes and clutch, the only thing left before winter sets in, is a new chain.

Attachments

15901 - 15920 of 15964 Posts