SV Portal Forums banner
15961 - 15980 of 15983 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am not an exspurt on cam timing, but, the 05 up bikes i think had that cam timing, but the 03-04 bikes like mine had what you have changed it too.... ?

When you checked the magnets, did you JB them ? Ounce of prevention.......
I think the early model had 110/102 lobe centers approx, i intend to jb weld the gaps between the magnets yes, i also often use it in the inlet ports when reshaping ports, i read with interest about one owners report about using the spearco cam option, it improved his midrange grunt and topend power when used with the +2mm JE pistons, so ill try convincing my brother about them, though i havent had any luck trying to find adjustable sprockets, webb cams cannot provide them, and it appears falicon performance engineering is no more, having been taken over by another corp, so ill have to be cautiously resetting the std cogs and rechecking timings till i get them as close as possible

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts
I think the early model had 110/102 lobe centers approx, i intend to jb weld the gaps between the magnets yes, i also often use it in the inlet ports when reshaping ports, i read with interest about one owners report about using the spearco cam option, it improved his midrange grunt and topend power when used with the +2mm JE pistons, so ill try convincing my brother about them, though i havent had any luck trying to find adjustable sprockets, webb cams cannot provide them, and it appears falicon performance engineering is no more, having been taken over by another corp, so ill have to be cautiously resetting the std cogs and rechecking timings till i get them as close as possible
RecoilRob and OldBaldSob and Realshelby (members) have some experience on setting up these engines, some of that for race purposes as well....hopefully they will get into a good chat with you about what they have found over the years in respect to cams

·
Registered
25 Posts
Took the day off and did a 240 mile tour of CT. Mass, Ny with my father. Had a bit of a false start as I noticed one of my radiator mounting bolts was missing. I was luckily able to find a bolt (flat head) of the same pitch and dia. I'll have to replace it with an actual bolt but it worked for the time being.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts
Took the day off and did a 240 mile tour of CT. Mass, Ny with my father. Had a bit of a false start as I noticed one of my radiator mounting bolts was missing. I was luckily able to find a bolt (flat head) of the same pitch and dia. I'll have to replace it with an actual bolt but it worked for the time being.
Wow......was the little metal spacer tube still inside the grommet ? Its 6.5id x 10od x 12L if not......

·
Registered
73 Posts
Last week i placed the order for 2. gen Vstrom clutch - it's been a long time waiting already and the parts are still not shipped. It will go in with a Werks basket and K5 flywheel.

But first I'm heading on a little summer trip with my gf. Five days and somewhere around 1.000km in the southern part of Denmark (Sealand, Funen, and Jutland).
This weekend will be wash, maintenance and getting tail bags fitted. I use the Kriega bags (20L+10L+10L) and just bought some Ogio saddlebags for my gf's SV650S K3. For the Ogio I'm going to fabricate some bracket to support them a little so no paint will be rubbed off.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For a while I’ve been searching for the good pair of tank grips that fits the curves of the SV while also actual being grippy.
Last try was a pair of R&G pads which seemed very promising until the glue gave up over night. Tried to reattach them with some spray glue but without luck. The material is just too thick and don’t want to stay in place while flexing around the curves in the knee dent on the tank.
Before the R&G I had

Now I'm looking at Stompgrips or TechSpec - both I'll have to buy from outside EU so there will be additional taxes which sucks, but it sucks even more to have a slippery tank!

Anybody got any suggestions or can vouch for the fitment to the SV tank?

·
Registered
05 sv1k
19 Posts
my bike came with stompgrips when i got it a year ago. fitment is very good. no signs of peeling. very course texture. as they came on the bike i have no idea how hard the install was.

·
Registered
73 Posts
my bike came with stompgrips when i got it a year ago. fitment is very good. no signs of peeling. very course texture. as they came on the bike i have no idea how hard the install was. View attachment 117689
They do look quite nice and cover a large area. I've tried out some pads with universal fit, problem was the shape did not cover all knee/thigh positions but only a very narrow spot.

How's the feel of the material - does it grip because its soft rubber like or hard plastic spikes which dig into the pants?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts
They do look quite nice and cover a large area. I've tried out some pads with universal fit, problem was the shape did not cover all knee/thigh positions but only a very narrow spot.

How's the feel of the material - does it grip because its soft rubber like or hard plastic spikes which dig into the pants?

Do you still have the R&G ones? Maybe if you formed them with heat from a heat gun or at worst a hair dryer before trying to glue them ?

·
Registered
05 sv1k
19 Posts
hard plastic nubs. grip is good. lets u hang on with your knees when u goose it. some people complained about wear on leathers but seem ok to me

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts
Pulled off the stator cover and found a present... 06 sv1ks
Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Damn, sorry to see that...... finding a single magnet for sale is not always easy....

Depending on how quick you need it on the road, buying a new rotor and JB Welding the magnets is the fastest way, and then you can sell your remaining magnets individually
to make some coin back....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Damn, sorry to see that...... finding a single magnet for sale is not always easy....

Depending on how quick you need it on the road, buying a new rotor and JB Welding the magnets is the fastest way, and then you can sell your remaining magnets individually
to make some coin back....
I'm going to need to replace 3 magnets. Selling the remaining 4 magnets is a great idea!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts
remaining 3 magnets..... if you have 3 broken and 4 remaining you are in trouble :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, single magnets are desperately sought after...... not sure what they are going for but considering the option of replacing the rotor, i think that $50usd is a possiblility.....

Maybe some other members can chime in on that.....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you still have the R&G ones? Maybe if you formed them with heat from a heat gun or at worst a hair dryer before trying to glue them ?
After i tried to get them to stick with spray glue i toss them in the trash. But I do actual have another set on the shelf which was planed to go onto my GF's SV650.
With the heat gun i might be able to shape them a little to stay in place - will give it a go before ordering Stompgrips.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts
After i tried to get them to stick with spray glue i toss them in the trash. But I do actual have another set on the shelf which was planed to go onto my GF's SV650.
With the heat gun i might be able to shape them a little to stay in place - will give it a go before ordering Stompgrips.

Hey yeah, its worth a try, money is money.....

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
What help do you need ? That rotor will need JB Weld between the magnets for whoever buys it. Also, be aware, it is a 2003 rotor, which is heavier than the later bikes.
It can be machined down to shed weight though. If someone can provide meausrements of an 05 rotor.
I'm still planning to do the measurements of the K5 flywheel! Still sitting on the shelf while I wait for the rest of the parts to do clutch and flywheel swap at the same time.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts
waiting....waiting.....:whistle::coffee::cool::LOL:

Reactions: Matheneyr3
15961 - 15980 of 15983 Posts