SV Portal Forums banner
15981 - 15999 of 15999 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bought a K5 flywheel from Hondaman a little earlier this year. Two magnets was already reglued by him.
Decided to pull off all magnets and reglue all now that this flywheel is not on the bike and easier to work with. Also makes it a little easier to make the measurements I promised in case anybody would like to machine a K3/K4 flywheel to K5 specs.
Electrical heat gun made easy work of the stock glue - at about 170°c it gave up and the magnets slid right off. The JB weld didn't let go untill 190-200°c while still sticking more than the stock at lower temperature.
My GF wouldn't appreciate the flywheel baked in the oven.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Crankset Bicycle tire

While I was at it made a tool to hold the flywheel. However it might be unnecessary, it should be doable with a 34/ 35mm wrench or adjustable wrench.
The tool was made from a 10mm mild steel plate and a M24 nut welded to it. Heated with a torch and then dipped in oil to blackening the steel.

Shoe Black Automotive tire Flooring Wood

Hope the clutch parts will show up next week so I can do the swap and ride it a little before colder weather shows up.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Make sure you get those magnets North South North South whe you remount them....look forward to those measurements too....(y)

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Restoreded my headlights as they were a bit foggy. Still need to put some UV coating on them.fter

Look great...do you have a "before" pic ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Look great...do you have a "before" pic ?
Unfortunately no, I tried but the camera wasnt doing it justice. The top of the headlight was starting to cloud as the UV layer deteriorated.

Today I added vinyl film from 3M. Supposed to last 5 years of UV exposure. I chose not to clearcoat so I wouldnt have to worry about wet sanding any runs. Plus if you screw up you peel back the cover and try again.
Automotive parking light Tire Grille Automotive lighting Hood

The right lens (fwd looking aft) is already covered in the picture.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Unfortunately no, I tried but the camera wasnt doing it justice. The top of the headlight was starting to cloud as the UV layer deteriorated.

Today I added vinyl film from 3M. Supposed to last 5 years of UV exposure. I chose not to clearcoat so I wouldnt have to worry about wet sanding any runs. Plus if you screw up you peel back the cover and try again.

The right lens (fwd looking aft) is already covered in the picture.
I like this idea....would also help with sandblasting and small stone impacts......

Got a link to the product ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Finally swapped to the K5 flywheel, Vstrom slipper clutch and WERKS basket. Unfortunately the weather in Denmark is cold and rainy at the moment but if I'm lucky there will be some sunshine and dry roads this weekend so I can take it out for a spin before I'm putting it away for the winter.
Impressed me just how light these parts are and Teddy did a good job on the flywheel so at least the annoying chudder is gone.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Took it out for a test ride yesterday with lighter flywheel, reworked basket and Vstrom clutch.
Really impressed by the smoothness. Took some time to getting used to the slipping, but really is nice in the corners, especially with R6 throttle tube which needs lesser input.

Reactions: hondaman

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Took it out for a test ride yesterday with lighter flywheel, reworked basket and Vstrom clutch.
Really impressed by the smoothness. Took some time to getting used to the slipping, but really is nice in the corners, especially with R6 throttle tube which needs lesser input.
The drop in vibes is probably hiding the engine character changes a bit, but, how much of a change in the pick up of revs is there ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
The drop in vibes is probably hiding the engine character changes a bit, but, how much of a change in the pick up of revs is there ?
Clutch chudder gone is differently the most noticeable, then comes the smooth and light clutch actuation. The ride was relaxed and didn't hammer it so regarding acceleration I can't comment yet. However engine notes differently changed (other than chudder) when revving it in neutral, so I bet it's picking rev up quicker.

Reactions: Missing Link

·
Registered
48 Posts
New, well used Corbin seat from Samuelc last week. Thanks much!!
Oil change today, all I had on hand was conventional Rotella T4 and K&N filter. Cleaned & lubed the chain w Suzuki Moly.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
New, well used Corbin seat from Samuelc last week. Thanks much!!
Oil change today, all I had on hand was conventional Rotella T4 and K&N filter. Cleaned & lubed the chain w Suzuki Moly.
Assuming you used the NG Plus stuff ? not the diesel specific...;)

Not what i wold choose to put in a bike engine....especially considering auto oils generally have friction modifiers that can do your clutch
a serious diservice over time.....even causing it to slip on the first use.....
Maybe this oil doesn't have that ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Assuming you used the NG Plus stuff ? not the diesel specific...;)

Not what i wold choose to put in a bike engine....especially considering auto oils generally have friction modifiers that can do your clutch
a serious diservice over time.....even causing it to slip on the first use.....
Maybe this oil doesn't have that ?
Its diesel oil but its JASO MA2 rated. Have used it in my Intruder 1500LC for years. Normally use the T6 synthetic but what I had on hand was used. Glad I looked at the bottom on the container cause it looked clean!! The T5 has friction modifiers in it, not T4 or T6.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Its diesel oil but its JASO MA2 rated. Have used it in my Intruder 1500LC for years. Normally use the T6 synthetic but what I had on hand was used. Glad I looked at the bottom on the container cause it looked clean!! The T5 has friction modifiers in it, not T4 or T6.

Not keen on that idea, as the straight diesel oil has detergents in it to remove sulfates and the like......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not keen on that idea, as the straight diesel oil has detergents in it to remove sulfates and the like......
Actually thought the engine sounded quieter, not as much valve train noise. Shifting nice & smooth. Definitely made my Intruder more quiet. The Intruder isn't a big fan of synthetic oils.
Have used T6 in my LTZ400 quad & my Harley's primary. Great oil!!

15981 - 15999 of 15999 Posts