SV Portal Forums banner
16001 - 16020 of 16041 Posts

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,018 Posts
Since i put the bikes into winter storage back in October I haven’t been spending much time in the workshop due to purchase of a house. Days and nights have been spent renovating the house and I'm far from done, but with spring around the corner it's time for a little maintenance - nothing crazy.

This summer I hope to the bike will take me to the mountains in Norway or Alps in southern Europe, so I'm going to work on some racks which can hold Kriega US bags. When a pair for my SV1000 are done it should be easy to copy the design to my GF's 650.
Hope you get the house finished in time....

And, get the GF's bike sorted first....then, whatever mistakes you made there, you wont make on yours......( i wont get to heaven saying that sort of thing.... ha ha)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hope you get the house finished in time....

And, get the GF's bike sorted first....then, whatever mistakes you made there, you wont make on yours......( i wont get to heaven saying that sort of thing.... ha ha)
It will be finished in some years. Project to tackle during spring will be some kind of shelter for the bikes. Might be one of those cheap prebuilt wooden shed for gardening tools will have to do for now.

You are absolutely right! haha. She got some Ogio saddle bags which is different from my Kriega, but the racks should be almost similar.

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nothing new but got her back out this week as its warming up in Phoenix. And with these ridiculous gas prices & the HOV lanes I'm back in the saddle. Really loving the Corbin seat! Trying to keep her under 70 mph to see if I can hit 50 mpg but its tough as she just wants to go!! 56 mile round-trip commute.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,018 Posts
Nothing new but got her back out this week as its warming up in Phoenix. And with these ridiculous gas prices & the HOV lanes I'm back in the saddle. Really loving the Corbin seat! Trying to keep her under 70 mph to see if I can hit 50 mpg but its tough as she just wants to go!! 56 mile round-trip commute.
HOV ? Is that a 2 occupant car or if on a motorcycle lane ?

I tried cruising n my bike by not taking it over 4500 once for a full tank ( yes, it was hard, but i was also on a 1 point licence for speeding) and really, there was no difference to just giving it a normal handful..... and yeah, fuel is bullshizer at the moment..... though a barrel is dropping in price

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes High Occupancy Vehicles or motorcycles. It increased my Jeep tremendously from 16-17 mpg to 19 mpg by staying under 60 mph & drafting off of trucks or vans. But then again a Jeep Wrangler is the least aerodynamic vehicle probably ever!! 😂🤣

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,018 Posts
Yes High Occupancy Vehicles or motorcycles. It increased my Jeep tremendously from 16-17 mpg to 19 mpg by staying under 60 mph & drafting off of trucks or vans. But then again a Jeep Wrangler is the least aerodynamic vehicle probably ever!! 😂🤣
I wold have thought that Wrangler and Aerodynamics were oxymorons......:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
96 Posts
So I rode 224 miles between Monday & Tuesday so plugged in the battery tender just to see if it turned green right away. It stayed red for awhile. Maybe no big deal but I'm thinking I should check the magnets like you guys keep saying. Running very smooth though I must say.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,018 Posts
So I rode 224 miles between Monday & Tuesday so plugged in the battery tender just to see if it turned green right away. It stayed red for awhile. Maybe no big deal but I'm thinking I should check the magnets like you guys keep saying. Running very smooth though I must say.
Battery tenders, well good quality ones, will do a diagnostic run, even bleed a little bit of power off before putting it back in.
Best bet is to do checks on voltage while running, if there is anyhting less than 13.5v at idle (bare minimum) then you have an issue. At 2500rpm and up there should be at least 14.5 > 15 being
produced. If not, then check your connections first. Then go looking for staotor output.

Best to look for that sort of thng in a dedicated thread, not his one.....dont want to hijack it.... aaarrrrgghhhh maaaateey

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got fuel injectors back from service. One was leaking, but not after service. Measurements identical for both injectors.
Earlier there was some fuel odor in the air, but not anymore.
Also it used to cough a bit when throttling quickly. That also seems to be a yesterdays problem.
Cannot wait the summer. At the moment we have only about 60 cm snow any more...

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,018 Posts
I just got fuel injectors back from service. One was leaking, but not after service. Measurements identical for both injectors.
Earlier there was some fuel odor in the air, but not anymore.
Also it used to cough a bit when throttling quickly. That also seems to be a yesterdays problem.
Cannot wait the summer. At the moment we have only about 60 cm snow any more...
Years ago i had a n issue where the injectors were dribbling more than spraying, this being because of a coating insie the tank, possibly an anti corrosion
thing stripped away and fouled it all up..... jerky as hell around 60kmh on a steady throttle...... better once the injectors were cleaned, but there was
still a lack of power....spoke to a mechainc at a large shop with a dyno about it, and he said it would be carbon build up in the cylinders.
He suggested he run her up on the dyno and do a "carbon blast"....basically slowly introducing a Subaru cylinder cleaner for boxer engines (they get oil veneer build up)
So, i went that way, and the bike started at around 95hp, oh dear, and once it blew the crap out, 120hp..... it was amazing.....

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,018 Posts
removed STP's and put on new clutch brake fluid container since i could not see anything from outside as the plastic was chewed by sun and mostly age, shes 19 now, made 03 03😁

Holy crap...thats what a new reservoir looks like... mine hasn't gone chalky yet, but its dark form fluid staining. The brake one went chalky as hell years ago.....and brittle

Have you ridden her without the STP's as yet ?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Holy crap...thats what a new reservoir looks like... mine hasn't gone chalky yet, but its dark form fluid staining. The brake one went chalky as hell years ago.....and brittle

Have you ridden her without the STP's as yet ?
i took it only around a house , it felt more perky...once i get it on the road i can open it up.
and yeah, clutch fluid reservoir is for honda VTR RC51 - can be bought separately, Suzi sells the whole thing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just local rides nothing special. About to do the pair crankcase breather mod. Took the bike to local track the other week in street trim and street tyres (Rosso Corsa 2's) considering it's a Sports tourer it went really well. Very glad I modified the forks.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,018 Posts
Pair valve delete and modified engine breather using the air induction system. Also a RUN throttle tube. Pretty happy with the results. Also lifted the tank with a couple of spacers.
What components did you use for the crank evac setup

Reactions: Marty Moose

·
Registered
58 Posts
10mm barbed Tee from Bunnings, also bought a 16mm tee cut one tail off it and used epoxy to glue it onto the 10mm tee for the crank case hose. I also used an elbow and a short length of hose on the front pair hose as I didn't want to cut anything. A 1k 0.5 W resistor in the pair wiring. I also checked and cleaned the reeds they were fine anyway. The R6 throttle tube is great also if you have not done it already.

16001 - 16020 of 16041 Posts