SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 619 Posts

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago, while at stop lights I noticed my mirrors had way more buzz to them than normal. I thought maybe my front fairing bracket was loose, but it was fine. I keep riding it and now I notice my hands are starting to get buzzed way more than they used to. I do a quick one over with torque wrench and engine mounts and other misc items, and they were all good. Next in line I figured I better check some internal engine things first like primary drive gear, clutch hub, mag rotor and such. I figure I can check the left side of the engine easier because I do not have to drain oil or water. I pop the cover off and guess what? All but one magnet had broken loose. This sucks, and luckily I have so much SV crap laying around on my shelves, I grabbed a box that had an 05 and up unit (much lighter than the 03-04 ones). I bolted it in and I am ready to go again. I have never seen such a frequent occurrence of this problem on a bike before. This happened on my 04 commuter machine with about 38K miles on it.

I guess I should consider myself lucky, the bike was still running, no magnets had broken or shattered and my oil is clean. I could see this causing major engine problems if I would have run it much longer.

-MS

Attachments

·
"Kiss my Ass"
13,712 Posts
We know it has happened to others but not as bad as yours, most of them have just had 1 or 2 magnets come loose.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Two weeks ago, while at stop lights I noticed my mirrors had way more buzz to them than normal. I thought maybe my front fairing bracket was loose, but it was fine. I keep riding it and now I notice my hands are starting to get buzzed way more than they used to. I do a quick one over with torque wrench and engine mounts and other misc items, and they were all good. Next in line I figured I better check some internal engine things first like primary drive gear, clutch hub, mag rotor and such. I figure I can check the left side of the engine easier because I do not have to drain oil or water. I pop the cover off and guess what? All but one magnet had broken loose. This sucks, and luckily I have so much SV crap laying around on my shelves, I grabbed a box that had an 05 and up unit (much lighter than the 03-04 ones). I bolted it in and I am ready to go again. I have never seen such a frequent occurrence of this problem on a bike before. This happened on my 04 commuter machine with about 38K miles on it.

I guess I should consider myself lucky, the bike was still running, no magnets had broken or shattered and my oil is clean. I could see this causing major engine problems if I would have run it much longer.

-MS
Can you attribute it to anything ? Bike got knocked over, hit a big pot hole, dumped the clutch .... anything?

Sounds like you noticed it before you noticed your charging system stopped working but that makes me nervous, since you're at least the 4th or 5th person this has happened to.

The concept and ideals of this bike are great but there's a lot that can be said about the finish :ranting:

- Green Connector (Done)
- TPS adjustment (Done)
- Clutch slave cylinder seal (Need to do)
- Water pump seal (Need to do)
- Check stator magnets (probably a matter of time)

And my bike only has 7K miles on it, granted it's an 03 but I've spent a large fraction of my time working on this bike relative to the time I've ridden it. My 600 Bandit which I had for 5 years didn't require anything but routine bike maintenance...

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you attribute it to anything ? Bike got knocked over, hit a big pot hole, dumped the clutch .... anything?

Sounds like you noticed it before you noticed your charging system stopped working but that makes me nervous, since you're at least the 4th or 5th person this has happened to.

The concept and ideals of this bike are great but there's a lot that can be said about the finish :ranting:

- Green Connector (Done)
- TPS adjustment (Done)

And my bike only has 7K miles on it, granted it's an 03 but I've spent a large fraction of my time working on this bike relative to the time I've ridden it. My 600 Bandit which I had for 5 years didn't require anything but routine bike maintenance...
Nothing abnormal that I know of. I got this one with 2400 miles on it. I have pretty much ridden it and done only regular service stuff. I have not had any green connector issues, no knocks, no leaks. This is the first item to bite me I guess. I have owned a fair number of bikes, and rarely have had any strange problems or typically reported issues with them.

I think I can attribute this to riding all the time. I ride my stuff year round and it stays really healthy. I sold my 99 ZRX1100 in late 07 and it still had the OEM battery in it.

-MS

·
Desperado
234 Posts
SHYTE. I ride mine all the time too. I bet at the end of the year I'll have close to 15K this year alone.

I noticed the other day my mirrors were shaking more than usual, and my hands are always going numb. But I have carpal tunnel in both wrists so I figured that was having a lot to do with the tingling. Now, with your post and the couple others I have seen these magnets are worth looking at.

What do I need to get to fix them, or have on standby should the issue come up? Just the stator cover and gasket?

·
Knowledge is Horsepower
3,259 Posts
Well, what the F. Did it happen on your K6 model? Trying to figure out if it's just the "old" models only.

I have noticed mine vibrates a lot more that it used to over 5k rpm. I have inspected mine before and it was fine. Looks like it's time to check the magnets again...

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SHYTE. I ride mine all the time too. I bet at the end of the year I'll have close to 15K this year alone.

I noticed the other day my mirrors were shaking more than usual, and my hands are always going numb. But I have carpal tunnel in both wrists so I figured that was having a lot to do with the tingling. Now, with your post and the couple others I have seen these magnets are worth looking at.

What do I need to get to fix them, or have on standby should the issue come up? Just the stator cover and gasket?
I did not even need the gasket, it was intact and stayed on the engine. You will need a puller and holder, or an air impact to zap it off. If you need a mag rotor I would go with a 05 and up unit, lighter to make the bike spin up faster.

-MS

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, what the F. Did it happen on your K6 model? Trying to figure out if it's just the "old" models only.

I have noticed mine vibrates a lot more that it used to over 5k rpm. I have inspected mine before and it was fine. Looks like it's time to check the magnets again...
This happened on my 04 street bike. My race bike engines are all still good. My bike really did not vibrate too bad, it was a bit more noticeable, but at idle it just seemed wrong. After riding it around the past couple of days now I do notice the vibration while riding is a bit better and my heated hand grips get way hotter. It is worth a check I would say, the consequences are not good...

-MS

·
Desperado
234 Posts
I did not even need the gasket, it was intact and stayed on the engine. You will need a puller and holder, or an air impact to zap it off. If you need a mag rotor I would go with a 05 and up unit, lighter to make the bike spin up faster.

-MS
Thanks for the intell. I'm gonna go ahead and do it over the winter. :yes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is exactly what happened to me a couple of months back, but being mechanically challenged, I had to pay my local Suzuki dealer to carry out the repair, and order a whole new flywheel assembly from Japan. Cost the best part of £500.

As much as I love the the torque of the v-twin engine, Suzuki's build quality has really lived up to its shoddy reputation and I'm looking to sell the SV as a result.

Its a shame because the SV does have a lot going for it, but it feels cheap, it looks cheap and it rattles and knocks and bits fall off it. Wish I'd never bought it in fact.

Hope I've not offended anyone here because the SV is obviously a popular and much loved machine, but its given me too many headaches in the last 2 years, so she just has to go.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
That will be worth checking this winter when I get some lift time. How much $, and where to get the later, lighter, fly wheel? And what does Suzuki use To secure the magnets? A epoxy? We have a GE plant here,and know enough folks that might be able to do a repair.

·
Registered
322 Posts

- Green Connector (Done)
- TPS adjustment (Done)

you and me both dude. That's exactly my list minus the green as well haha! TPS adjustment was never done by the prior 2 owners since the bike was new. Probably came from the factory that way.

So much to learn and do...

·
Fast Old Guy
696 Posts

-MS
I put an 05 unit on mine a few years ago, the original was fine. Any reports of the lighter 05's doing this?

·
streethawk.........
799 Posts
Am interested in this as well.
Mines got 21k on it now, last 12k been done in last 14months lol
Done most of the engine mods, tps etc
But not done either the valve check or the magnets:whistle:
Should i be worried & just get it sorted out?
Its a k6 model btw

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

- Green Connector (Done)
- TPS adjustment (Done)

It must be something you're doing wrong. :p

I have a K3 with 90000km (~56000 miles) on the clock and from that list, only issue I had was the clutch slave cylinder. :bigclap:

Recently I had to replace the fuel pump, but I guess at that mileage it can be 'forgiven'. :confused:

D.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had a charging problem on my 2003 model. Battery running flat gradually, yet when I tested the three generator phases individually they all tested fine. I thought it had to be a regultor prob and bought three of them, one after the other?!!! In the end it turned out to be that all the magnets had come unstuck. Testing each phase individually showed up to be ok, cos the back emf wasn't enough to make the magnets slip; only when they were all under load did they stop spinning. I had to buy a new flywheel to cure problem. The later, lighter, version fitted, so at least I ended up with a livlier motor, but it took me weeks to find the problem.

Hope this helps someone else with the same prob; it' a real head f+ck, cos all the usual tests show normal!

·
Registered
872 Posts
As much as I love the the torque of the v-twin engine, Suzuki's build quality has really lived up to its shoddy reputation and I'm looking to sell the SV as a result.
I've never understood why people complain so much about the build quality on the SV. I think that in general Kawasakis are much worse as the finish wears off very quickly and you have to keep on top of them to avoid rust, something I had never worried about on my Suzukis.

I guess that the fact that I've owned some truly crappy Chinese bikes has screwed me up, so everything that is "acceptable" seems like good quality to me?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've never understood why people complain so much about the build quality on the SV. I think that in general Kawasakis are much worse as the finish wears off very quickly and you have to keep on top of them to avoid rust, something I had never worried about on my Suzukis.

I guess that the fact that I've owned some truly crappy Chinese bikes has screwed me up, so everything that is "acceptable" seems like good quality to me?
In my experience, most people are actually complaining about the motor build quality. Aesthetics-wise and structure-wish I've never had an issue with any of my Suzukis. However, within the last 10-15 years, Suzuki's been cutting costs and outsourcing their parts for internal engine type stuff, which is exactly why we end up with issues such as the rattling clutch basket (they're out of tolerance but Suzuki doesn't bother to check on the manufacturing process elsewhere).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a charging problem on my 2003 model. Battery running flat gradually, yet when I tested the three generator phases individually they all tested fine. I thought it had to be a regultor prob and bought three of them, one after the other?!!! In the end it turned out to be that all the magnets had come unstuck. Testing each phase individually showed up to be ok, cos the back emf wasn't enough to make the magnets slip; only when they were all under load did they stop spinning. I had to buy a new flywheel to cure problem. The later, lighter, version fitted, so at least I ended up with a livlier motor, but it took me weeks to find the problem.

Hope this helps someone else with the same prob; it' a real head f+ck, cos all the usual tests show normal!
WW - My experience similar to yours; all phases check OK but no charging. Replaced regulator and still no charge. Even hooked up a 110V trouble light to each phase directly from the stator output and got a nice bright filament on each one. Pulled cover and found all the magnets loose and one pole coil shorted to ground. Must have caught a magnet chip or??. If any pole shorts to ground, the Silicon Controlled Rectifier (SCR) in the regulator will not commutate (turn off) so the regulator shuts everything off and keeps it off. It has to see a sine wave, with a voltage reversal on each of the three phases to turn off. With a short in the middle of the delta-connected three phase winding, the voltage will be (approximately) an average of the three phases which may not provide the negative voltage transient needed to turn the regulator off. In your case, the phasing probably got altered from the magnets shifting which would lead to the same effect.
I tried epoxying the magnets back on with JB Weld but they came loose again in about 3k mi. I re-bonded with Hysol E120 (made for missile nose cones they said!) and also grit blasted the flywheel inner surface before bonding. Hope it holds up better this time.
Yamaha regulators use Field Effect Transistors (FET's) instead of SCR's so they will continue to work even if one phase is shorted to ground or loose magnets but then you might not get the warning (no charging) until too late.
Anyway - it took over 100 thousand miles to fail so I can't complain too much.
I have an '06 too and it is fine at 7k mi.

·
Pete's bike hauler
2,547 Posts
you should rev them harder not pootle around the centrifugal forces would keep the magnets in place!!
thrash them to within an inch of the crank and thrash them some more

1 - 20 of 619 Posts