SV Portal Forums banner
81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Redline has a lot to do with top speed runs...

I guess to me 141 145 or what ever it is, is pretty awesome. I VERY seldom need to go that fast in town where most of my riding is done.:whistle:

I went into buying this bike knowing full well it wasn't the fastest bike out there. Hence the low insurance rates. If I wanted to pay 800 a year to insure a bike, I would have bought a Busa.
I pay $220 for my insurance.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have hogged out short slip ONS and a minus one front which is a 16 and + 2 in the rear which I think is either 42 or 44 sprocket anyways it's -1 tooth over stock in the front plus two teeth in the rear and I've had my sv1000s up two 167 and 6th about a thousand RPM from redline and it did it quick and smooth
SV1K speed sensor is off of the countershaft sprocket, so gearing changes also affect the speedo calibration. Check out Gearing Commander - Motorcycle Speed and Drive Train Calculator v7 which will show true speeds vs gearing. One thing worth remembering is that the tachometer is not reading accurately by about 10% high, plus the rev-limit within the ECU is set at 10,600 and the injectors are shut off when this happens. So the tachometer needle you're watching will be showing well past the 11,000 redline before the engine actually gets to 10,600. If you're showing 10,000 (as you said with 1,000 left) you're actually turning about 9,000 which with the 16/42 is an actual 137'ish.

The SV1K isn't built for maximum HP's...it's midrange torque where it shines. Max HP is in the mid 9K range so actually getting to the fuel cut is well over the max power rpm unless you've tinkered with exhaust system and cam timing where this can be extended over the stock settings. Rather than gearing down I like the SV geared UP....18/40 is nice and tall and lets the motor use its' torque without running out of revs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Rather than gearing down I like the SV geared UP....18/40 is nice and tall and lets the motor use its' torque without running out of revs.
Running 42/18, and agree- tried 40/16 and 42/17, both are too buzzy and run out of breath too early... either would be more interesting if I lived in the foothills, but the two hours' ride to get there sux on the highway. Taller = better for sure.

OEM fueling seems to be shackling the bike as well. Recently changed my '07 from a Dobeck add-on controller (which could only add fuel) to a PC V; the PC V map for the 3/4 Yosh pulls a good bit of fuel out of the upper rev range, and that's added noticeable steam above ~9500 where it used to lay down.

81 - 83 of 83 Posts