SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"Kiss my Ass"
13,704 Posts
what is the friggin point of setting the opening bid so low and then having a reserve??
:agree: not having a pop at mar_s but this is one of the things that always pisses me off with e.bay, you see loads of things for sale with say 10/15/20 bids etc and they still haven't reached the reserve price, WTF! why do people do this? There has been many items i would have had a go at winning if i knew what the reserve price was but i can't be bothered to keep bidding to try and find out what it is.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me explain - from my experience I can say that if you put low starting price, the more people will bid, so that would lift the price up.
The reserve is there to ensure i won't have to sell item for the silly price (happened to me before)

The reserve i put on this exhaust is very reasonable

·
"Kiss my Ass"
13,704 Posts
Let me explain - from my experience I can say that if you put low starting price, the more people will bid, so that would lift the price up.
The reserve is there to ensure i won't have to sell item for the silly price (happened to me before)

Lots of people seem to bid just to see what the reserve price is and so you get lots of bids but no sale, they like to know that what they are bidding has a chance of winning.

·
streethawk.........
799 Posts

Its the nature of the beast as i understand it

The bidding starts low, gets more peeps interested coz its low
Then as the price gets driven up, people automatically get into the 'ITS MINE' state of thinking......and so on......
As said, the nature of the beast lol:whistle:

·
"Kiss my Ass"
13,704 Posts
Its the nature of the beast as i understand it

The bidding starts low, gets more peeps interested coz its low
Then as the price gets driven up, people automatically get into the 'ITS MINE' state of thinking......and so on......
As said, the nature of the beast lol:whistle:
No sorry but not when it has a reserve on it, i won't touch a item if it has one. It does work when you start with a low price and say that there is no reserve, thats when people think they may have a better chance.

·
streethawk.........
799 Posts
No sorry but not when it has a reserve on it, i won't touch a item if it has one. It does work when you start with a low price and say that there is no reserve, thats when people think they may have a better chance.
I agree with you there ken, i wasnt giving my own point of view:whistle:(devils advocate?):devil2:
i was writing as what i thought was from the posters point of view
I normally either email the seller to see what the reserve is or find another one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.