Registered
824 Posts
The solution to the top speed issue

Albeit a very UGLY solution.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here is my dyno graph for my bike. Run 19 is a little higher than 18. I changed up the mapping a little and the bike produced a little more power. You can see where run 18 ends on the graph. This is where it hit the rev. limiter. The bike only got to about 10,100 rpm's before hitting the limiter. Got news for you guys! The SV's tack is not that accurate. This is not uncommon. While at MMI we confirmed this on there makes of bikes, too. Anyway, the max HP is about 1000 before the limiter. Now when I make fast runs the bike runs out of steam at about 10,200 on my bike's tack, which is about 9000 or so on my dyno chart. So, it would appear that my gearing is right in line, if not very close to it, in order to go the fastest I can with the bike's gearing.

Thanks, Rocket 6R

Attachments

·
Mmmm Kate
7,536 Posts

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,773 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I know! That Kurt guy is a real buzz kill. However, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinions. Apparently, he wants to be a cop. I gave up that idea a long time ago. I think why most, not all, people want to be cops are for a feeling of power and control. That's just not my thing.

Thanks, Rocket 6R

·
Ghetto Superstar
3,843 Posts
oldbaldsob said:
Wow! That Kurt'sSV dude should quit being so sheepish with his comments. :lol: Sounds like something my dad would say. :killingme

Just another reason to hang out on the SV board:)

I don't even post on the Z1000 forum cause, well, it's kinda boring:pokey:

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Theoretically a stock 2003 SV1000S should reach 267km/h (~167mph) at 10000 RPM in 6th gear.

If you change your sprocket to 16 tooth, your SV should reach 251km/h (157mph) at 10000 RPM in 6th gear.

My SV is so far stock and I've seen a bit over 250km/h on my speedo. I think it's about 8% optimistic (I will check that with a GPS next spring) - that means the real speed was a bit over 230km/h (~144mph).

Since I'm quite big I'm happy with that.

D.

PS: You can use Geardata for the gearing diagrams... The ZIP file contains data for 2003 SV1000S file and can be imported into Geardata.

Attachments

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,773 Posts
one2many said:
Just another reason to hang out on the SV board:)

I don't even post on the Z1000 forum cause, well, it's kinda boring:pokey:
Amen brother! Anymore, I post maybe once or twice per month there. I like their smilies though.:lol:

·
Waiting to go for a boat ride
13,206 Posts
oldbaldsob said:
Wow! That Kurt'sSV dude should quit being so sheepish with his comments. :lol: Sounds like something my dad would say. :killingme
What a facking uss hole....

I would like to meet that prick and beat his ass...:angry2: Why people have to be mean is beyond me. I liked Dom's reasoning though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
"I do have a 16T on the front sprocket and when at top speed I'm about 1000rpm's away from my redline."

Try putting back the stock 17T front sprocket. That should do for 155 mph at 9,000 rpm. (about 10K+ on your dial).

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hey Taxman, are you saying the tach is off buddy? Never heard of that before. I've heard not being able to keep up in 1st gear or so, but never been off. So that means that the SV doesn't rev to 11K? Has anybody used a digital tachometer to confirm that? Just curious.
JC

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Rocket 6R said:
I look at the current production of 600's out there and they are able to achieve high speeds than my bike, not to mention the 1000cc class bikes. So why is my top speed so low?
It's all about the I4's making top hp at higher RPMs. Here is a good article that should explain. http://www.vettenet.org/torquehp.html

·
Registered
686 Posts
What Taxman said

You figured it out on your own. W/ your 16t sprocket, at peak power your gearing will only take you to 141. The torque curve drops off so fast above 9K RPM, at that speed your motor just can't get past it's peak power with all the wind drag. W/ your stock 17t sprocket, assuming you can still pull peak power you will probably find that you can get close to 150 if not slightly faster.

It’s just physics and gearing.

As you keep decreasing the gear ratio (increasing front, decreasing rear) you will eventually get to a point where you’re motor won't pull peak power in top gear. Go back to the previous step and that should be your peak speed capability with the HP you're bike currently makes.

And the current crop of I4 600’s make a lot more power with much less weight. The new STOCK YZF600 with the right driver can drop into the 9's in the quarter mile. Way faster and quicker than our bike.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
so exactly how does this thread cause ill-will??????????:) :)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
here's my 2 cents.............. try turbo charging the puppy!!!!:supsmiley

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
dougie111 said:
Reading some of the puke that comes out of the mouths of people on other boards it is easy to understand why one would think it could cause ill-will. We just happen to be a nice bunch of people.:niceone:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
CopperTop said:
Reading some of the puke that comes out of the mouths of people on other boards it is easy to understand why one would think it could cause ill-will. We just happen to be a nice bunch of people.:niceone:
so true......i can last about 5 minutes on the cbr forum before i throw my hands up and say, "what the f#!!!!!"....the nonsense is astonishing

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
dougie111 said:
I was not trying to disrespect our bikes by comparing them to the I-4's and the speed or power issue.

Thanks for all the responses thus far. I love you guys! This is the best forum and I'll never leave.

Thanks, Rocket 6R

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,773 Posts

Attachments

21 - 40 of 80 Posts